Friday, November 5, 2010

Dangers of A Police Officer

Today the riots about Johannes Mesherle are about to occur. Although it doesn't affect me much right now I am worried for my dad. At this moment, he is part of the line of cops keeping the City of Oakland safe from harmful protestors. I feel bad for the family's of these police officers. Sitting at home watching the news and praying that their loved one would be okay. This is what I am doing right now. If everything goes well, I will be able to wake up in the morning and have breakfast with my father.

Last year, my father received a "blue code" call out. It was mandatory and he had to go to the crime scene as soon as possible. At the time, we were eating dinner. He quickly left the dinner table and put on his bullet proof vest. Instead of his usual work uniform he wore a shirt the was engraved with the word "NEGOTIATOR" on the back. A man was in his house, he was supposedly shooting at neighbors, my father served as the person who had to talk him out of the house. That night it was hard for me to go to sleep knowing that my dad was still out there.

When the four Oakland police officers were shot at, I was in Sacramento with my father at my basketball tournament. He got the call from one of his colleagues saying that his inspiration and role-model Erv Romans was one of the cops that was shot at. My dad left right away. My sister and I sat in our hotel room searching the news on the internet. We later found out what had happened. In honor of Officer Romans, my father with other police men, went to Michigan to bury his body where he was from.

Another disappointing event that happened was when my Uncle Will died on his way home from work. He was one of my dad's closest friends and was very important to me as well. Uncle Will was on his way home on the freeway swerving through lanes to get home quickly when a big truck hit him. He lost his balance and fell to the floor of the freeway, his motorcycle following, one of the handlebars landed on his chest with a strong force. By the time he reached the hospital, he was dead. I felt bad for his family, they were expecting him to be home until they got the call that he got into an accident.

When my father called my sister one day, I found out he was in the hospital. He tried to stop a drunk teenager that was leaving the Raiders game and ended up fracturing his shoulder. I didn't know what happened to my dad, all I heard was the he was in the hospital but he was going to be okay. My fear overwhelmed me and I couldn't help but cry all night. I was glad to hear that he was okay.

Hopefully tonight my father will come home safely.

1 comment:

  1. I truly appreciate what you've written here. It's very easy for people to vilify "the cops" at a time like this, when it seems so obvious that our criminal justice system is in major trouble, and people are angry because of it. (I was super-relieved when I found out that overall things stayed peaceful in Oakland on Friday.)

    But it's easy to forget that cops have families too! And it's also easy to forget how fragile human life truly is. So, again, thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete