Friday, January 14, 2011

Response to Bianca's blog- Substitutes.

After reading what Bianca had to say about her feelings toward having substitutes, I feel ashamed of the way my class (including me) acts when a substitute teacher is around. In her blog she stated,
"Every time we have a substitute at ASTI, it seems that my class almost always takes advantage of them, and I personally get annoyed every time it happens. In fact, no offense to anybody, but it is rude. For example, when the substitute is doing attendance, people would continuously talk and then miss their name being called. As a result, class is stalled, and the whole class is affected because then we have less time to do our work."
In my mind I can picture the class she is talking about because I am in that same class. She has a good point when she talks about how it can be really annoying when a sub is taking attendance and nobody is listening. When I am not the one talking in class I tend to get annoyed of the extent certain people go to to be obnoxious and a disturbance to the class.

Subs come into a class with a good idea of how they want their day to go. Too bad it is the complete opposite in reality. Kids are rude once they walk into the door. Five minutes into class a sub can see paper being passed, kids with earbuds in their ears, roaring laughter progressing from different parts of the room and the aching headache she/he gets when having to experience this.

Later on in Bianca's blog I found her take on a possible solution as to how we can end the constant distractions in class.
"To solve this problem of having substitute teachers being interrupted and disturbed by the constant talking, I want to propose that the class just stop talking, or at least whisper, when the substitute is taking attendance, or when they are giving out instructions. Not only would that be nice for the substitute, but also nice for classmates."

She has a good point when making this proposal and I feel that not only should this point be made with a substitute teacher, it should be addressed when our actual teacher is around also.

After reading Bianca's blog I feel bad for EVER messing around in class only because I knew the sub would not mind. It really is childish and this behavior should not be tolerated at a high school such as ASTI.

No comments:

Post a Comment