Saturday, December 4, 2010

Unwind Book Post #1

After reading the first section of the book Unwind by Neal Shusterman, the many questions that struck me were based on the beginning adventure of Connor, Risa and Lev. A question that I had was, although Lev grew up knowing he was going to be unwound, why didn't he ever question how his life would be if he wasn't a tithe? Throughout the book Lev is compelled to be unwound, thinking about it his entire life never made him doubt that he was going to stay in one piece. When Connor, Risa and Lev are hiding in the bathroom he devises a plan to sneak out and tell an adult that he was being kidnapped. Right when he was free from being unwound, he still felt that it was his destiny to be unwound. Somewhere in the book he talks about people not knowing their reason in life, he feels that he is higher than Connor because he knows what his purpose in life was, to be unwound.

In our discussion, Ebone Qualls made a point that Lev was brainwashed when he was born. Since before he was born his parents knew that he was going to be unwound. As he grew up the fear of being unwound turned into realization of his fate. Another reason as to why he was brainwashed is because he grew up with his close family friend Pastor Dan, obviously he was a pastor that reassured his future of being unwound. I agree with what Ebone was trying to say because Lev had no choice but to live up to the expectations that were set for him before he was even born. Lev's destiny was not fair.

A quote that I shared with my group was about Lev saying that although he was going to be unwound did not mean that he was an Unwind. I asked Tony on his feelings toward this statement because I was uncertain about what Lev meant when he said it. Tony Lin commented that what Lev was trying to say was that even though he was going to be unwound did not mean that he was a juvenile or misbehaving kid, this set him apart from being referred to as an Unwind.

My discussion with the group helped me understand the book better because my group mates clarified many questions I had about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment